Short Sale Soundoff: BofA refines process for valuation disputes
Bank of America has refined the process for settling valuation disputes during a short sale.
The value of a property is established by independent third-party vendors shortly after a short sale is initiated. Occasionally, however, a listing agent may wish to contest that value. When that occurs, there is now a revised process for reconsidering the value.
- Tell your short sale specialist that you would like a reconsideration of the value.
- Receive an investor-specific, easy-to-complete form from your short sale specialist that specifies all requirements for a successful value dispute.
- Fill out the form and attach specified evidence.
- Stay in touch with your short sale specialist for results.
- Expect a value dispute review within 10-12 business days once all required information has been received.
When contesting a home value, make sure you have compelling evidence to support your claim.
Do not reference property pricing amounts in the narrative on the form. This violates appraiser independence policy and is against industry standards. Any reference to pricing will disqualify the dispute.
Provide comparables that are recent, proximate (nearby) and similar to the property in question.
- “Recent” means sold within 90 days of the actual value document date.
- “Proximate” varies by location. In a rural area, for example, a home five miles away could be considered proximate.
- You will be able to provide additional notes to highlight characteristics of the comps.
When the dispute centers on property condition or hazards:
- Provide an itemized estimate from a licensed contractor on the contractor’s letterhead.
Provide photos to illustrate the repair, condition issue, or hazard you want to highlight.
Thank you for reading this post. If I can ever be of help in finding you the perfect property here in the Napa Valley, please email me at Curtis@NapaValleyAddress.com
Your Napa Valley Broker Extraordinaire, selling Real Estate here from its heart, Yountville
My website & blog: www.NapaValleyAddress.com